“These so-called medical professionals played with patients’ lives, buying and selling them for profit without regard to patient safety. Patients have the right to expect treatment decisions by health care professionals are based on medical need and not unadulterated greed. The magnitude of this alleged crime is an affront to ethical medical professionals.” (Dave Jones, California Insurance Commissioner)
The California State Insurance Commissioner’s office has joined the Orange County’s chief prosecutor in bringing what appears to be a monster medical fraud case against at least 21 physicians and 5 others.
The case involves a cash kick-back scam of what may be as much as $40,000,000 stolen from at least 27 insurance carriers, and more than 13,000 patients billed by Monarch Medical Group, One Source Laboratories and King Medical Management.
Investigators are focusing on the key players in the scheme – Christopher King, age 38 and his wife Tanya, age 37 of Beverly Hills, as well as the operators of Steven’s Pharmacy in Costa Mesa – Charles Bonner and Mervyn Miller, who are residents of Irvine.
Tanya King faces more than 100 years in prison. The two pharmacists could get 28 years and the doctors each face 25 year terms. Christopher King’s possible sentence, if convicted, was not announced.
Prosecutors believe they can prove that the Kings were at the center of a long-running insurance fraud ring that operated between 2011-2015, recruiting unethical physicians and pharmacists. The evidence shows that the scam involved unnecessary treatments of Workers Compensation insurance patients. The Kings are also believed to have conspired with Steven’s Pharmacy owners to sell ointments and creams that offered no medical benefit whatsoever.
“We must have ethical doctors who abide by their Hippocratic Oath to ‘do no harm.’ The intent of many of the laws surrounding the insurance industry is to keep the three Ps–physician, patients and profit—separate. We have a track record of putting these types of fraudsters behind bars for a long time and we intend to do just that again.”(Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas)
The California State Department of Insurance is leading the investigation, with assistance of the Orange County DA’s Bureau of Investigation, National Insurance Crime Bureau and the FBI.
Is YOUR doctor being investigated in this case?
- Dr. Duke Ahn, 49, Los Alamitos
- Dr. John Casey Jr., 65, Modesto
- Dr. Robert E. Caton, 65, Modesto
- Dr. Chris Chen, 55, Pleasanton
- Dr. Jonathan Cohen, 57, Modesto
- Dr. Parvez Fatteh, 46, Pleasanton
- Dr. Robert Fenton, 68, Ranchos Palos Verdes
- Dr. Michael Henry, 61, Granite Bay
- Dr. Mohamed Ibrahim, 40, Danville
- Dr. Mannie Joel, 67, Pleasanton
- Dr. Paul Kaplan, 76, Folsom
- Dr. Howard Oliver, 70, Long Beach
- Dr. Ismael Geli Silva, 38, Huntington Beach
- Dr. Ismael Silva, 63, Newport Coast
- Dr. Jerome Robson, 68, Modesto
- Dr. Eric Schmidt, 63, Santa Rosa
- Dr. Eduardo T. Lin I, 55, Pleasanton
- Dr. Paul A. Stanton, 54, Victorville
- Dr. William Pistel, 53, Modesto
- Dr. Kevin Park, 49, Buena Park
- Dr. Kourosh Shamlou, 49, Newport Coast
Here’s another look: