Rooting out healthcare fraud is central to the well-being of all citizens, as well as this country’s overall economy.
Healthcare fraud costs the taxpayers billions of dollars each year, and it continues to grow. U.S. medical expenditures exceed $3,000,000,000,000 (that trillions) and spending continues to outpace inflation. Hundreds of recent cases prove that medical professionals are more than willing to risk patient harm to pad their incomes.
And that is a disgusting fact.
The primary agency for exposing and investigating health care fraud, is the FBI, with jurisdiction over both federal and private insurance programs. Their goal is to identify and pursue investigations against the worst offenders, along with investigative partnerships with federal, state, and local agencies, as well as their relationships with private insurance national groups. FBI field offices target fraud through coordinated task forces, strike teams and undercover operations.
Here’s an example – over just the last 3 weeks – of the kinds of criminals who permeate the fabric of modern U.S. medicine. Multiply these by a thousand, and you’ll have at least a fair idea of how corrupt American healthcare really is:
- (June 3): Three New Defendants, Including a Chiropractor, Plead Guilty in Scheme Involving Nearly $600 Million in Fraudulent Claims by Southern California Hospitals
- (June 3): Three Indicted for $634,000 Health Care Fraud Involving Two Toledo companies
- (June 2): Former Horizons Hospice Chief Operating Officer Pleads Guilty to Health Care Fraud
- (June 2): Fresno/Visalia-Based Health Care Company President Charged with Fraud, Embezzlement, and Money Laundering
- (June 2): Owner and Chief Financial Officer of Healthcare Company Sentenced to Prison for Their Roles in Fraud Scheme
- (June 1): Owners of Home Health Care Agency Sentenced to Prison for Taking Part in $80 Million Medicaid Fraud
- (May 30): Newark Hospital to Pay $450,000 for Allegedly Billing Health Care Programs for Unnecessary Procedures
- (May 30): Patient Recruiter Sentenced to 60 Months in Prison for Role in $2.3 Million Miami Medicare Fraud Scheme
- (May 27): New York Pharmacist Pleads Guilty to Medicare and Medicaid Fraud and Tax Fraud
- (May 24): Two Saratoga Doctors Indicted for Health Care Fraud and Money Laundering
- (May 24): Ambulance Company Owner and Brother Arrested in $6 Million Health Care Fraud Conspiracy
- (May 24): Physician Assistant Ordered to Pay $77,900, Excluded from Medicare and Medicaid, and Sentenced to Six Months’ Home Detention for Accepting $12,600 in Illegal Kickbacks
- (May 20): Washington DC Physician Pleads Guilty to Health Care Fraud
- (May 19): Kittanning Man Indicted on Health Care Fraud Charges
- (May 16): Former Fresno County Administrator Indicted for Health Care Fraud
- (May 12): Florida Woman Sentenced for Health Care Fraud
- (May 12): Kentuckiana Anesthesiologist Sentenced to 9 years for Unlawful Distribution of Controlled Substances, Health Care Fraud, Conspiracy, and Money Laundering
- (May 11): Granite City Chiropractor Pleads Guilty to Health Care Fraud and Money Laundering
- (May 10): Washington County Man Sentenced to 2 Years in Prison for Defrauding Hospitals
And people have the nerve to ask us why we became a medical heretic. Well, it ain’t rocket science. Our professional house is infested with greedy, chomping, never-sleeping termites. And nobody on the inside has the intestinal fortitude to call Terminix.
On that note readers . . . have yourselves a terrific week.