In the state of Michigan an oncologist who inflicted unnecessary, painful cancer treatments on hundreds of patients – many of whom had no cancer at all – cried out loud as he was sentenced this morning to the rest of his life in federal prison by U.S. District Judge Paul Borman.
Doctor Farid Fata, who operated a group of cancer scam clinics in and around Detroit, spoke publicly for the first time since his arrest almost exactly two years ago. He blamed his own greed and a self-destructive thirst for power.
“They came to me seeking compassion and care. I failed them.”
Fata begged Judge Borman for mercy. But the prosecution reminded the judge of the victims’ “lifetime of suffering.”
The judge, calling Fata’s crimes “huge” and “horrific,” deliberated for 60 minutes and then handed down Fata’s 45 years behind bars.
Here is another view:
- Disciplinary action in another state (12/2/2014)
- Action Taken: Voluntary Surrender
- Summary: Dr. Farid Tanios Fata; License # MD072100L; NATURE OF COMPLAINT: The physician was disciplined by another state and failed to report this disciplinary action within sixty days after its occurrence to the Pennsylvania Board of Medicine. ACTION TAKEN: The physician permanently and voluntarily surrendered his license to practice in the State of Pennsylvania.
- State: Pennsylvania
- Substandard Care, Incompetence or Negligence (1/27/2014)
- Action Taken: Revocation
- Summary: Feta, Farid Tanios MD: License # 4301072629: NATURE OF COMPLAINT: The physician engaged in Drug Diversion, Negligence-Incompetence, Unethical Business Practice, Unprofessional Conduct and Lack of Good Moral Character. ACTION TAKEN: The Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Health Care Services has DISSOLVED Summary Suspension dated October 25, 2013 and REVOKED the physician’s Michigan license.
- State: Michigan
- Substandard Care, Incompetence or Negligence (10/25/2013)
- Action Taken: Summary Suspension
- Summary: Fata, Farid T MD: License # 4301072629: NATURE OF COMPLAINT: The physician engaged in Technical Violation of the Michigan Public Health Code, Drug Diversion, Unethical Business Practice, Negligence-Incompetence, Lack of Good Moral Character and Unprofessional Conduct. ACTION TAKEN: The Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Health Professions has placed the physician’s Michigan license on SUMMARY SUSPENSION.
- State: Michigan
* * *